Greg Barker has officially launched the National Solar Centre. As part of his launch speech he said "The new National Solar Centre (NSC) will play a pivotal role in supporting the solar industry not only in the UK but with International Renewable Energy Associations.
It will help establish infrastructure for industry growth in developing Technical Standards, Due Diligence, Best Practice Planning Guides, Training facilities and driving innovation through R&D". Alongside this Greg Barker made some important emphasis on the Green Deal and the role Solar PV has to play within the Green Deal.
Greg Barker covered a number of key areas within his speech.
- 1.8GW of Solar PV is now deployed and in operation in the UK – enough energy to power around 450,000 homes.
- Ambition to see 20GW of Solar PV by 2020
- National Solar PV Centre will spearhead growth
- Solar PV still a great deal with 1,500 installations equating to 5MW in the last week
- Solar strategy to be announced in the spring
The Main opportunities Greg Barker announced are;
- Use the Green Deal to market Solar PV as an energy saving option.
- Use the commercial Green Deal to drive solar’s part in the distributed energy revolution. Offering companies from SMEs to FTSE Giants solutions to generating more of their own electricity, building greater resilience and certainty into their business models as they go.
- Take opportunities to capture new markets with the support of Government. For example over the coming month I will be hosting a series of networking events where the sector can sell its pitch to some key potential customer groups – Registered Social Landlords, Local Authorities, the Building Sector.
To read the full speech click here
For further information on working under the Green Deal for Solar PV or any other measures, please give our Green Deal Advice team a call on 0800 882 43 12 to to start your journey to Green Deal Accreditation apply here.