External Wall Insulation

External Wall Insulation (EWI) is an approved Green Deal and ECO measure under the Building Fabric Measures category.

What is External Wall Insulation?

External Wall Insulation (EWI) is usually only applied to solid walled homes. EWI is applied to the external surface of a wall and is covered by a weatherproof layer, usually render. External Wall Insulation does not affect room size of a house, unlike Internal Wall Insulation, but it does alter the exterior appearance of the house. EWI provides the best insulation of all of the internal and external wall insulation options.

Non-technical Considerations

External Wall Insulation on terraced housing or only one of a pair of semi-detached can be visually obtrusive if the whole row of houses is not to be treated, although various architectural styles, (Georgian, Victorian, Edwardian) can be replicated. You need to check whether buildings insurance (fire) is affected.

Planning Permission

Planning permission will normally be required for fitting solid wall insulation if it changes the external appearance of the home. Even if visual changes are likely to be minor, you are recommended to contact your local planning authority if the building is listed or is in a conservation area.

Green Deal Home Improvement Fund

External Wall Insulation is also a measure under Core 2 of the Green Deal Home Improvement Fund where homeowners can recoup 75% of the installation cost of External Wall Insulation up to £6,500 along with £100 for the Green Deal Assessment and another £500 if they have recently moved home.

For further information on Green Deal Certification for External Wall Insulation, please contact our team on 0161 768 5807. Alternatively please email us at consultants@evergreenenergy.co.uk.